Media and staff gathered last Friday at the National Gallery of Australia for the media preview of ‘Roy Lichtenstein: Pop remix’, which opened to the public on Saturday 20 July.
The excitement was palpable as Ken Tyler– who travelled to Canberra specially to open the show–recounted some of his unique experiences of working with Roy Lichtenstein. Thank you to both Ken and Marabeth Tyler for making the long trip from the U.S. to be here.
Exhibition Curator Jaklyn Babington in conversation with ABC reporter Anna Morozow
Louise Maher from 666 ABC Canberra interviews Ken Tyler
Ken Tyler discusses a series close to his heart: the Entablatures of 1976.
Did you know?
- Curator Jaklyn Babington spent over 12 months selecting the works that would form the Lichtenstein exhibition; considerations included the period of the artist’s career to be covered, followed by an in-depth analysis of each work and series.
- The first room of the exhibition features a group of rare 1950s woodcut prints by Lichtenstein, displaying his transition from an expressionistic style into Pop Art. Originally forming part of the artist’s personal collection, these works have never before been displayed in Australia.
- The works in the exhibition make reference to and remix no less than nine different art movements or styles: Impressionism, Pointillism, Surrealism, Abstract Expressionism, Op Art, Cubism, Art Deco, Classicism and Constructivism.
- Roy Lichtenstein: Pop remix returns to the National Gallery of Australia after touring for over 12 months and covering 8,800 kilometres across three states as part of the Gallery’s Travelling Exhibitions Program. A total of 21,084 people saw the exhibition at three venues: Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Mornington (VIC), QUT Art Museum, Brisbane (QLD) and Araluen Arts Centre, Alice Springs (NT).
- ‘New generations discover Lichtenstein’, 18 July 2013, Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/new-generations-discover-lichtenstein-20130718-2q6nw.html
- ‘Remixing old favourites: Lichtenstein pop art on display in Canberra’, 19 July 2013, ABC News: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/remixing-old-favourites-lichtenstein-pop-art-on-display/4829274
- ‘Art exhibition: pop goes the gallery’, 18 July 2013, Australian Financial Review: http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/life_leisure/art_exhibition_pop_goes_the_gallery_feN7SON9ALpysjRaynkCnI